Blog changes

In an effort to get this blog back on track I have simplified it, deleted some of the attached one-topic blogs
and focused on Sabbats and Esbats, which was the original intent.
Other writings will be in 'stumbling upon the path of the goddess'
and the Borrowed Book of Charms is still active.
Links in the right hand column.

Monday, October 20, 2008

The Wiccan Rede


I am a solitary witch. I am less solitary than I used to be, having connected with the Pagan world over the last year or so. Pagan hermit is what I used to be, now I just practice as a solitary.
Long before I had heard any other Pagan opinions to influence my thoughts about the path, I read the Wiccan Rede, and I have to say that I think that some people do WAY too much stressing about it.

I hear people passionately defending it as everything from the basis for all of their pagan beliefs to a command to become vegan.

I also hear people dismissing it while spitting out an affronted assertion that they do not need anyone to tell them how to chose right and wrong.

I have to say that I have laughed at both of these camps as well as at myself and my interpretation of the two little lines that cause all the ruckus.
An ye harm none; do as ye will.

First, I have to point out that there is more to the Rede than these lines and most of it is a simple description of the Wheel of the Year, the Sabbats and Esbats.

As to the "command" that causes so much dissension. I have to admit that I never took it as a command at all. I read it in the same vein as the rest of the Rede and did not assume that the author had suddenly changed tracks in mid stride.

My interpretation is so simple that it pales beside the two entrenched camps. I took it to mean that, being careful not to cause harm to other people, just as you would in any other part of your life, you should engage in as much magick as you wish, with no other constraints or worries and not letting the dictates of others determine how you practice your magick.

I have to suspect that the extreme views harken back to our Puritan heritage which seems able to badger and follow us even into the Craft. Talk about lacking in joy.
Those guys made everything a chore, a command, a directive....or if it might be pleasant, a sin. Everything was good, but grim, or evil. The analyzing and looking for a hidden (negative) meaning that we do just proves how hard it is to leave this sort of thinking behind.

This is one example of being glad that I made up my own mind before being contaminated by a fuss that is best described as 'much ado about nothing.'

So stop overthinking it. Don't use your power on your annoying neighbor, do use your power to make your own life better and absolutely enjoy your magick - everyday.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin